FORUM

Master your own destiny! Command a nation!

The size of capture zones is too small

Discussion board for the use of weapons, Vehicles and planes, upgrades, map tactics. Have questions about your playstyle, use of weapons and upgrades.

The size of capture zones is too small

12 May 2013, 17:53

What's wrong with capture points atm moment is their size. Player numbers increase yet capture pints are still 2mx3m wooden shelter that can be spammed and raped by a single tank with it's HE ammo from across the land while infratry keeps desperately spriting to that meatgrinder.

Police station and Church are good examples of capture points and their size. Bigger zones make sure that 1 tank can't just sit on top of a hill and spamm the wall while enemy has no choice, but to keep going in that shelter. Church or PS are also more exiting to capture and defend when you don't know the exact spot where the enemy has to stand in order to cap it. They don't have to all be church size, but if you know almost the very spot where enemy is standing, then it's way too small.

For newer players, Church and PS did used to have that 1 meter radius from the radio, until they changed them to the whole building. Now we need to increase the zone for the rest of the cap points.

For example:
D2 radio: Instead of being that 1 shelter, imo it should include all 3 of them and the ground in the middle of it.
D3: instead of that 1 room in ruins, include at least the whole ruin. Maybe the medic box shelther and ground between them.
D4: instead of the last floor only, I would add the middle floor too.
A3: would be all of the base floor and the 2nd floor. No 3rd floor because it's only accessable with ladders and defending it would be too easy.

(I'm using this fighter landing guide pic because I can't find better map layouts. Would be great to have tho... Reto give us HD pictures of high detail map layouts from all maps)

jonatsku1

Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

jonatsku1

Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: The size of capture zones is too small

12 May 2013, 17:58

I agree, we need bigger capture areas, and more open ones where capturing and holding means suppressing and counter-sniping the enemy to have chance to get into the capture area, something like B(up the hill radio) in the new skirmish map.
In before <Allied Crying Armada> nukes the thread.

Who won Tour de France in 1940 ??? --- Die 7. Panzer Division der Wehrmacht

cocolat1x

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

cocolat1x

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

12 May 2013, 18:26

I would have to agree with you. Capturing and defending the points would be more interesting if they increased the cap radius.
I too remember how the Church and PS were back in the Alpha. You only had a few meter cap radius around the Radio. Once they changed the cap radius they changed the mentality of the players as well.
Now, defenders try to protect the approaches to the cap point rather than the cap point itself (like they used to).

hromoplast

Private First Class
Private First Class

hromoplast

Private First Class
Private First Class

12 May 2013, 20:10

Signed!
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." [Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel]

Feldmarschall-Rommel

Senior Corporal
Senior Corporal

Feldmarschall-Rommel

Senior Corporal
Senior Corporal

12 May 2013, 20:15

Church and police used to be radio-area only as well.
I made it a big campaign to make them expend it.

I thought the other cp's would follow soon, seeing it really was good for the gameplay, but that never happened.

dondergod

Major General
Major General

dondergod

Major General
Major General

12 May 2013, 20:28

That would be nice. Would also prevent people from just camping a single room with an automatic, like some of the capture points wheres it's a whole building, but one room is the capture point.

BroskiMcBroham

Recruit

BroskiMcBroham

Recruit

12 May 2013, 20:42

as a tanker i approve of this open capture zones are a good ballance to the objectives that are in houses it also promotes the use of apc and longer ranged weapons instead of semi auto spam and smgs

i often see tanks spamming the same area blindly scoring kills often trough walls because they figured out the sweet spot where cover is bugged and inf gets damage trough a wall

this shoudl get remediedied with open large capture zones

i would suggest for the later game stages to get reinforced maps where capture zones are smaller and hence harder to get and often inside well defended houses or emplacements whereas a town that hasnt been reinforced has easy to cap open zones with little defense structures so tansk can roll right in capture and win much faster than it is today
Kern wrote:You know tanks are balanced when one side has to ditch their tank and go infantry to increase their combat effectiveness against an equally priced tank while the other tank can one-shot kill their "equal" opponent from over 1km away.

katthedemon

Colonel
Colonel

katthedemon

Colonel
Colonel

14 May 2013, 08:40

jonatsku1 wrote:What's wrong with capture points atm moment is their size. Player numbers increase yet capture pints are still 2mx3m wooden shelter that can be spammed and raped by a single tank with it's HE ammo from across the land while infratry keeps desperately spriting to that meatgrinder.

Police station and Church are good examples of capture points and their size. Bigger zones make sure that 1 tank can't just sit on top of a hill and spamm the wall while enemy has no choice, but to keep going in that shelter. Church or PS are also more exiting to capture and defend when you don't know the exact spot where the enemy has to stand in order to cap it. They don't have to all be church size, but if you know almost the very spot where enemy is standing, then it's way too small.

For newer players, Church and PS did used to have that 1 meter radius from the radio, until they changed them to the whole building. Now we need to increase the zone for the rest of the cap points.

For example:
D2 radio: Instead of being that 1 shelter, imo it should include all 3 of them and the ground in the middle of it.
D3: instead of that 1 room in ruins, include at least the whole ruin. Maybe the medic box shelther and ground between them.
D4: instead of the last floor only, I would add the middle floor too.
A3: would be all of the base floor and the 2nd floor. No 3rd floor because it's only accessable with ladders and defending it would be too easy.

(I'm using this fighter landing guide pic because I can't find better map layouts. Would be great to have tho... Reto give us HD pictures of high detail map layouts from all maps)

E4 [River Crossing] Has the PERFECT setup, you basicly just have to be on the concrete/floor, and you can hide up or below the two buildings, or anywhere in between, I like that ! Unlike most others, where the only cover you get is behind the stairs, or the radio table.

Venenum

Colonel
Colonel

Venenum

Colonel
Colonel

14 May 2013, 09:54

katthedemon wrote:as a tanker i approve of this open capture zones are a good ballance to the objectives that are in houses it also promotes the use of apc and longer ranged weapons instead of semi auto spam and smgs

i often see tanks spamming the same area blindly scoring kills often trough walls because they figured out the sweet spot where cover is bugged and inf gets damage trough a wall

this shoudl get remediedied with open large capture zones

i would suggest for the later game stages to get reinforced maps where capture zones are smaller and hence harder to get and often inside well defended houses or emplacements whereas a town that hasnt been reinforced has easy to cap open zones with little defense structures so tansk can roll right in capture and win much faster than it is today

I agree 100% for the APC use...but please learn the newbies of using them as designed and not for taxiing
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting things to change
Albert Einstein

Mecket

Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Mecket

Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

14 May 2013, 10:23

The barn cap-points should be both barn-houses and the ground in between

Farmhouses should simply be the entire building.
Ruins should be the entire ruins (including upstairs)
Access points also whole building.
Iron bridge whole building

Train station whole building (medic boxes should be removed form inside, there are already some outside as well I believe).
However, not the part where you can grab the bazooka (so that bridge-kind of part should not be part of the capzone)
The train depot: whole building... but maybe even a bit more outside.

Airfield tower: whole tower (all floors)

Think that's about all different kind of cappoints.

dondergod

Major General
Major General

dondergod

Major General
Major General

14 May 2013, 13:33

I think also the area around the barns should also be in the capture zone so you should be able to cap with vehicles like tanks much easyer.

Kaese_Felix

Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Kaese_Felix

Hauptmann
Hauptmann

14 May 2013, 13:48

Kaese_Felix wrote:I think also the area around the barns should also be in the capture zone so you should be able to cap with vehicles like tanks much easyer.

And 50m high to cap with planes! :lol:

NQ_QB

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

NQ_QB

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

15 May 2013, 16:30

Finally someone agree with me.

The size need to be HUGE, more combat to cap 1 flag and less COD close combat game.

HeliaXDemoN

Private
Private

HeliaXDemoN

Private
Private

15 May 2013, 21:45

They had larger capture zones in alpha but they toned it down for some reason. Probably difficult to hold the zone if the area is larger.
ImageImage

Matt6767

Colonel
Colonel

Matt6767

Colonel
Colonel

15 May 2013, 21:54

Barns should be smaller or zones smaller, to not be able to enter with tank and cap.

Tank, standing still at E2 at the beginning of the battle, where he should be rushing for best position is just very sad.

You can cap with tanker character! You don't have to be in a tank to cap points! Just don't spawn in a tank and don't waste resources for stupid capping.

Same thing with jeeps. Jeeps are transportation, not a taxi to CP, where u can sit and enjoy capping. Today i saw 3 jeeps at e3, 2 in barn one a front of it. Inside...3 people. 3 jeeps for 3 people just to get to cap point. And rest of team couldnt move fast, because they couldnt spawn in jeeps anymore...

This second part of this post, refers to starting cap points (2) and some 3rd points.

ilear

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

ilear

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

21 May 2013, 11:48

Thanks for your thoughts on this and your concrete suggestions. I've added "review of all levels' capture points" to my to-do list for when I do my next level pass.

Reto.Ratamahat

Level Designer
Level Designer

Reto.Ratamahat

Level Designer
Level Designer

28 Aug 2013, 15:47

Still no change? I am waiting for this change to play the game.

HeliaXDemoN

Private
Private

HeliaXDemoN

Private
Private

28 Aug 2013, 15:55

HeliaXDemoN wrote:Still no change? I am waiting for this change to play the game.

The capture zones changed 1-2 months ago, since Jefferson came :lol: .
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth

AUFAR100 wrote:Humans tend to always ask about something without thinking about the consequence, then cry later :P

Raul

Colonel
Colonel

Raul

Colonel
Colonel

28 Aug 2013, 15:59

They are still too small, we need them to be bigger. Church +second floor, police courtyard+building opposite, the bigger the better.
In before <Allied Crying Armada> nukes the thread.

Who won Tour de France in 1940 ??? --- Die 7. Panzer Division der Wehrmacht

cocolat1x

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

cocolat1x

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

28 Aug 2013, 16:03

cocolat1x wrote:They are still too small, we need them to be bigger. Church +second floor, police courtyard+building opposite, the bigger the better.

True. Especially noobs have hard time trying to understand where the Capture zones are, because I hardly see them capturing. Oh wait... :mrgreen:
If you agree feel free to use the image as your signature.

Jinppa

Generalmajor
Generalmajor

Jinppa

Generalmajor
Generalmajor