FORUM

Master your own destiny! Command a nation!

Mortars

Can’t find a dedicated forum for your gameplay topic?

Mortars

17 Oct 2011, 23:38

In the end of the Heroes & Generals - Alpha Videolog 2, KenSolo said that you developers were working on mortars. How are they going to work ?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ...

and that is why yours is STUPID !!!

steinardarri

Private First Class
Private First Class

steinardarri

Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Mortars

18 Oct 2011, 16:23

Good question. Rather curious myself as to how they work, will it be infantry worked ? Or just more of an off-map support thing-

ImperialDane

Private First Class
Private First Class

ImperialDane

Private First Class
Private First Class

18 Oct 2011, 16:42

ImperialDane wrote:Or just more of an off-map support thing-

I hope not, I'm against anything that cannot be seen, used, or taken out by the enemy.

Matt6767

Colonel
Colonel

Matt6767

Colonel
Colonel

18 Oct 2011, 16:50

I really hope it's going to be an on-map thing with Infantry. It should require to Players to setup in my opinion as this could be something that is very powerful.
How did you hear about Heroes & Generals? - A Small Experiment
Heroes & Generals Around the Web - A list of News about Heroes & General

Knoxx

Private First Class
Private First Class

Knoxx

Private First Class
Private First Class

18 Oct 2011, 16:59

One would hope to see tactical mortars accurately modeled.

Tactical mortars were much smaller than the big guys. 50-60mm. RO2 got it way wrong with 155mm mortars.

monster

Private
Private

monster

Private
Private

18 Oct 2011, 17:38

Hi guys,

First two mortars will be infantry mortars.
The 8 cm Granatwerfer 34 and the M1 81mm to be precise.
You can carry them like any other weapon and they can be deployed anywhere on the map.
We have just started setting them up and exactly how aiming and handling will work is yet to be decided.
And definitely something we want to tweak with the community later on.

Best regards
Jesper Wille

Reto.Hr.Wille

3D Artist
3D Artist

Reto.Hr.Wille

3D Artist
3D Artist

18 Oct 2011, 17:51

Reto.Hr.Wille wrote:Hi guys,

You can carry them like any other weapon and they can be deployed anywhere on the map.
We have just started setting them up and exactly how aiming and handling will work is yet to be decided.

Best regards
Jesper Wille

Excellent news. Should provide some tactical elements to come into play. Will they have different types of ammunition available?

Comrade_Kaizer

Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Comrade_Kaizer

Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

18 Oct 2011, 17:56

Comrade_Kaizer wrote:
Excellent news. Should provide some tactical elements to come into play. Will they have different types of ammunition available?

Hi Comrade_Kaizer,

Yes, we are definitely considering that:)

Best regards
Jesper Wille

Reto.Hr.Wille

3D Artist
3D Artist

Reto.Hr.Wille

3D Artist
3D Artist

18 Oct 2011, 19:07

Perhaps using a map to aim with them with ? Otherwise only artillerymen will be able to figure them out :P

ImperialDane

Private First Class
Private First Class

ImperialDane

Private First Class
Private First Class

18 Oct 2011, 19:34

ImperialDane wrote:Perhaps using a map to aim with them with ? Otherwise only artillerymen will be able to figure them out :P

Or maybe recon/radio operator could call in targets
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ...

and that is why yours is STUPID !!!

steinardarri

Private First Class
Private First Class

steinardarri

Private First Class
Private First Class

18 Oct 2011, 19:40

steinardarri wrote:
ImperialDane wrote:Perhaps using a map to aim with them with ? Otherwise only artillerymen will be able to figure them out :P

Or maybe recon/radio operator could call in targets

I would figure manual dialing of the sights on the mortar in unison of a HUD compass and also with the assistance of binocular equipped troops.

Comrade_Kaizer

Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Comrade_Kaizer

Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

18 Oct 2011, 22:07

I love me some mortars.

Nothing like sitting back and smashing a fortified town.
Former 31st Wrecking Crew

DiedTrying

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

DiedTrying

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

19 Oct 2011, 07:55

maby if it was something like forgotten hope 2 where the recons or NCO's spot with binoculars and than the mortars can see the target from above and change back to the mortar where it says where to aim to hit the area. but its annoying when nobody spots >:(
REGIMUS NEQUE HOSTIS

lonewolf

Private
Private

lonewolf

Private
Private

19 Oct 2011, 20:14

The Forgotten Hope method works for me, although the overhead view the gunner gets defies reality. Perhaps the spotters view could be relayed to the gunner in his hud, along with the attack coordinates. When the gunner and spotter are in the same squad feedback can help a lot. Directly telling someone that a spot is good or bad saves a lot of frustration.

tomatotom

Private
Private

tomatotom

Private
Private

19 Oct 2011, 20:41

Reto.Hr.Wille wrote:Hi guys,

Best regards
Jesper Wille

I strongly suggest you guys look at the mortar system in the Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra: Ostfront.
I think their system aproaches what you guys want to do pretty closely.

samthegreat4

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

samthegreat4

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

19 Oct 2011, 21:50

monster wrote:One would hope to see tactical mortars accurately modeled.

Tactical mortars were much smaller than the big guys. 50-60mm. RO2 got it way wrong with 155mm mortars.

RO2 had no on map mortars. The 50-60mm motars were generally platoon issued weapons to give infantry some organic firepower. RO2 had off map mortars which were usually 8cm or 12cm, which is the kind you would call in. 50-60mm mortars were never concentrated fire weapons called in on a radio, they were generally direct fire weapons done with a visual on the target. The US were the only ones that used 60mm mortars in a call in role, as they had the range to be effective in that role. Most 50-60mm mortars have a range of 500 yards, the US ones could go to 2000 yards.

I think we can have both groups in game though, big mortars have a range of under 4km, would fit fine in 10km maps like have been advertised. The Germans would be missing a tactical mortar though, unless the devs give them the short 81mm but that is pretty OP compared to a 50mm or 60mm mortar (it is in DH as well).

samthegreat4 wrote:I strongly suggest you guys look at the mortar system in the Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra: Ostfront.

Kinda disagree, this game should be able to get away with larger and longer range mortars, they should have smaller mortars like RO and bigger ones which can be grouped together for concentrated bombardments.

wokelly

Corporal
Corporal

wokelly

Corporal
Corporal

19 Oct 2011, 22:37

wokelly wrote:
monster wrote:One would hope to see tactical mortars accurately modeled.

RO2 had no on map mortars. The 50-60mm motars were generally platoon issued weapons to give infantry some organic firepower. RO2 had off map mortars which were usually 8cm or 12cm, which is the kind you would call in. 50-60mm mortars were never concentrated fire weapons called in on a radio, they were generally direct fire weapons done with a visual on the target. The US were the only ones that used 60mm mortars in a call in role, as they had the range to be effective in that role. Most 50-60mm mortars have a range of 500 yards, the US ones could go to 2000 yards.

I think we can have both groups in game though, big mortars have a range of under 4km, would fit fine in 10km maps like have been advertised. The Germans would be missing a tactical mortar though, unless the devs give them the short 81mm but that is pretty OP compared to a 50mm or 60mm mortar (it is in DH as well).

samthegreat4 wrote:I strongly suggest you guys look at the mortar system in the Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra: Ostfront.

Kinda disagree, this game should be able to get away with larger and longer range mortars, they should have smaller mortars like RO and bigger ones which can be grouped together for concentrated bombardments.

Yeah, but I meant the aiming system. In DH it is so that the mortar operator carries the mortar and can set it up everywhere, he can adjust the elevation and adjust the traverse. But a spotter is needed to ''laze on'' or spot enemy contacts, and because having a spotter is the only way to determine the accuracy.

As for having two kinds of mortars ingame, the heavier caliber to call in and the smaller caliber as a player operated piece, I'd think it would be indeed cool. But I'd like to hear some commentary from the devs on this matter.

samthegreat4

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

samthegreat4

Technician 4th
Technician 4th

20 Oct 2011, 04:58

I would prefer the style like how dropteam did mortars. you were in 3rd person then on the top of the screen given a grid on the map. you would simpy adjust to where roughly where you want to mortar to fall. then *boom*. Though in games like WWIIOL it was fun but without proper distance reading on the map from where the player stood it was hell.

either way everyone agrees. make it player controlled.

TheOpposition

Private
Private

TheOpposition

Private
Private

20 Oct 2011, 16:21

Reto.Robotron3000

Community Manager
Community Manager

Reto.Robotron3000